Defensive starters Sean Smith, Jared Odrick and Karlos Dansby all declined to comment on the situation, while offensive players said the situation wouldn't be a distraction.
Here's a sampling of what players said about Johnson's situation:
• Sean Smith: “Hmm, it’s unfortunate. I would love to have him here right now, but I’m not going to comment on all that. That’s his business. Coach Philbin and the team will take care of all that.”
• Davone Bess: “It can be a distraction if we let it. We’re all there for him through this tough time. We all got goals in mind, and that’s to get through the rest of this offense in and get ready to start playing on Sundays coming up.”
• Bess: “If I was him, I would be (disappointed). He’s been busting his tail in the meetings, out on the practice field, doing all the necessary things to make the team and been doing a good job. But stuff happens. We all run into situations, man. It’s just life.”
• Bess: “We’re there for him. The first thing that we can do as a football club and as teammates is just be there for him. It’ll work itself out.”
• Charles Clay: “I was shocked. Of course, you don’t want things like that to happen. I’m sure it’ll work itself out.”
• Legedu Naanee: “I was aware of it, but it’s not our job to worry about consequences or anything like that. We’ve just got to focus on getting better. We’ve got a lot of things from the game to improve on, so we’re just focused on that.”
• Naanee: “When I first found out, it kind of sucked, but we still don’t know what happened. I know Coach hasn’t talked to him yet, so we’re kind of waiting to see.”
• Naanee (on how the team can keep this from being a distraction): “We’ve got a lot of stuff to work on. It’s pretty easy right now. It’s kind of tougher during the season when you’re gearing up for another opponent. Right now we’re still in camp mode and we just had a good, our first practice back, so we’ve got a lot of corrections to make.”
• Richie Incognito: "Chad's got to handle his business right now, and we just move forward."
• Roberto Wallace: "It could be (a distraction) but to me it's not."